Artist in Residence Blekinge – Sweden
A residence with a focus on artists from countries around the Baltic Sea
October 7th – November 3rd 2019
We are glad to invite artists to apply to A.I.R Blekinge. Our focus area is the Baltic Region where we have a longstanding network and collaboration area. The residence is based in Ronneby in the County of Blekinge in the South East archipelago of Sweden. Three artists will be selected to live and work during a month, with the possibility of a later return for collaborations or exhibitions.
A.I.R. Blekinge offers you place and resources for artistic development. Our aim is to establish long-term collaborations between different actors in the region with its starting point during the residency.
You will get an introduction to the cities and archipelago, nature and culture, and meet with representatives from different places and institutions, to provide new contexts, starting points or conceptual directions. Through own travels you will have time to explore the county.
We want to be a catalyst for new art production in the Baltic region, with artistic freedom from beginning to end.
Disciplines: Visual Arts
Location: Ronneby and the region of Blekinge, Sweden
Date: Duration: 1 month
Deadline application: April 26th 2019
Eligibility: Visual artists based in the Baltic Sea Region and all the Scandinavian countries. Two artists from the Baltic or Scandinavian countries, and one artist based in, or have connections to, Blekinge will be chosen.
Eligble countries in the extended geography: Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Finland, Poland, Germany, Russia, Denmark, Norway,
Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Sweden is represented by an artist with a relation to the county of Blekinge.
Support: a stipend, travel and accommodation and possibilities for production funds.
What do we offer? What does the Residency include?
• Workshop studios and facilities for production and installations.
• A stipend/grant of 2000 Euro.
• Reimbursement of travel expenses to and from the residence.
• Accommodation at Villa Flora in the old Ronneby city park, with a shared kitchen.
• Per diem.
• Studio facilities.
• Studios for large scale projects, enamel, graphic printing, textile and more.
• Possibility to present an exhibition at Massmanska kvarnen during the residency.
• Possibility to prepare an exhibition at Kulturcentrum Ronneby konsthall 2020.
• Meetings with relevant collaborators for the future.
• Meetings regarding possible funding’s of your project ideas or productions in the region.
• Possibilities to reflect upon your artistic practise with curators and art institutions in the region as well as with curators in the South Swedish Regional Partnership.
• Meetings with collaborators and production platforms in different fields of your interest.
• Meetings with culture departments residing in cities, countryside and archipelago
• A new network of collaborators in Blekinge,
• A network of curators and art institutions in the South Swedish Regional Collaboration-group for Art.
We expect you as an artist to…
• Be active part of meetings arranged with actors around the region.
• Present your work for artists and cultural workers in the region in an informal setting.
• A workshop or program involving the local audience during your stay.
• Propose ideas for future projects in Blekinge.
• Get interviewed in in our Art Podcast, or publish a digital online art work at www.konstiblekinge.se
• If you are an artist based in, or with connections to, Blekinge – we expect you to live and work together with the artists travelling to the area.
Thematic concepts for the residence
We will especially look upon artists who work in the fields below, but we are very much open to surprise and to other topic proposals relevant to the region.
The specific areas of interest are:
…public spaces, city development and participatory projects – activating places.
…archipelago and cultural heritage.
…the relation city and countryside, the rural and urban.
The department Digital media, Technology and Aesthetics at Blekinge Institute of Technology is our first AIR-hub. Their fields of
interests are digital, physical, analogue and hybrid techniques as well as the public space. Artists specializing in this area will have the opportunity to have a more long-term dialogue with the faculty and a possibility to be a part of the international symposium Digital Urbanism in the middle of November.
What to submit in your application?
A motivation text for your residence period, CV, website, relevant reference object and contacts.
Send it in ONE PDF-file to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for your application is April 26th 2019 24:00 CET
Konst i Blekinge will contact the chosen artists at the latest May 20th 2019
The decision will be published on our website www.konstiblekinge.se
The jury consists of representatives from Konst i Blekinge, Kulturcentrum Ronneby, Blekinge Institute of Technology and municipalities with art experts in the region.
Organizers and funding bodies:
Konst i Blekinge, Region Blekinge, Kulturcentrum Ronneby konsthall, Ronneby kommun
Torun Ekstrand, art developer at Konst i Blekinge/Region Blekinge